Wills, Bequests,and EstatesLegacy Giving
LET’S GET STARTED
Cherryland Humane Society is a 501(c)3, no kill charitable organization; EIN 38-1603061.
You can make a lasting impact for the animals in our community by including Cherryland Humane Society in your planned giving. Planned giving opportunities include a number of options including the following:
Why making a legacy gift makes a difference for the future of pets in our community
Unfortunately, there will always be abandoned, homeless, cold, hungry, scared pets out there. There will be hoarding cases of malnourished, poorly cared for animals in our community. There will be influxes of kittens in the spring. There will be stray pets in our neighborhoods scared and looking for help…
Fortunately, with your help, we will always be here to provide a safe harbor for the animals entrusted to us as we strive to find them responsible, loving and permanent homes while educating the public about humane values.
With your help within the past few years we have transitioned to a no-kill shelter, we have paid off our very large mortgage, we have been able to hire more talented and passionate staff, we have upgraded our animal kennels, and not to mention found loving homes for over 2,000 pets!
With your help we have been able to expand our programs and incorporate more enrichment to help care for not only the physical health of the animals but the emotional and mental wellbeing of the pets entrusted to us as well. We have been able to care for any sick or injured animal that has come through our door through our emergency vet fund. We have been able to offer new partnered behavior training programs to help our more behaviorally challenged pups.
We have been able to do all of this because of you and your annual gifts. That is truly amazing and continues to inspire us every single day.
A legacy gift is a little bit different from your, still very much needed and appreciated, annual gifts.
- Annual gifts help us maintain all of our programs and care for the animals on a year to year basis.
- Legacy gifts help us continue and expand our mission for the future. Legacy gifts help Cherryland maintain the financial stability needed to keep our promise of always being here to care for these pets.
What does the future look like for Cherryland Humane Society?
- In 2021
- We will be opening our very own in house spay/neuter clinic. This will be a wonderful addition that will assure all adopted pets will be spayed or neutered before they leave for their forever homes.
- We will also be opening a thrift store in our local community. This will give us another avenue to raise funds to continue providing the best possible care for the pets entrusted to us.
HOW IT WORKS
You can help us care for homeless animals by including Cherryland Humane Society as a beneficiary in your will or living trust.
- Your assets remain under your control during your lifetime
- Bequests can be modified by you at any time
- You may designate specific assets, amount, percentage, or residuary percentage
- Charitable bequests are deducted from amounts subject to estate tax
- You will be supporting Cherryland Humane Society in its mission to provide homeless animals with a safe harbor until they are placed in forever homes
We would love to be notified if you have named Cherryland Humane Society as a beneficiary in your will or trust, so we can recognize you for this! You can let us know by emailing email@example.com or mailing a letter of intent to 1750 Ahlberg Rd, Traverse City MI 49696
Charitable IRA Rollover
If you have reached age 70 1/2, you may make up to $100,000 per calendar year in gifts to charity paid directly from your IRA. Such gifts made directly to charitable organizations count toward the required minimum distributions you must take annually from your traditional IRA. These charitable contributions are not included in taxable income or itemized charitable deductions on your federal income tax return. Often, this will result in personal income tax savings compared to taking a distribution from your traditional IRA then contributing it to a charitable organization.
Your IRA custodian can provide details of making Charitable IRA Rollovers. For information regarding any income tax benefit, please consult an income tax professional.
If you hold appreciated stocks and wish to make a charitable contribution, you may save income taxes on taxable gains by donating stock directly to Cherryland Humane Society instead of selling the security and making a charitable contribution with the proceeds. Consultation with your tax advisor is recommended. Please contact Cherryland Humane Society at firstname.lastname@example.org or (231) 946-5116 for transfer information.
Huge thanks to these sponsors for their continued support!