Our adoption fee is $50 for barn cats, $90 for cats and $200 for dogs.
Dog license $15 additional(Grand Traverse County Residents only)
CHS Adoption Policy
- You must be 21 to adopt.
- We accept multiple applications on each animal, it is not on a first come basis. CHS does not guarantee approval upon submission.
- Applications may be denied for any reason.
- We require all members of the household to meet the pet and multiple visits may be requested.
- All current animals in the household must be spayed/neutered and up to date on necessary vaccinations.
- Pets must live in the same household as the adopter.
- We do not adopt out dogs as solely outdoor pets.
- Cats will not be adopted out if the owner intends on allowing the cat outside.
- No animals will be adopted to a residence where pets are not allowed.
- No animal will be adopted to a group of four (4) or more unrelated adults living in the same household (e.g. student housing).
- CHS staff will not begin adoption procedures with a person who is reasonably believed to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs
- No animal will be adopted to an individual who has failed to comply with the conditions of a previous adoption, including but not limited to the spaying or neutering of the pet.
- You must show a valid drivers license or state ID card.
- A vet deposit or training deposit may be required prior to adoption.
- Please speak with staff if considering declawing.
CHS Adoption Process
- Read and fill out application completely, including all initials and signatures. List animal(s) interested on the application.
- We will be checking with landlords to ensure pets are allowed, breed/size restrictions, number of pets, and pet deposits are met.
- We will call applicants veterinarian for a reference (spay/neuter, vaccination, and preventative history).
- We do in shelter cat test if the applicant has cat(s).
- We require and will schedule dog meet and greets if applicant has dog(s).
- The entire application process may take 1-2 business days.
- Staff will call applicants with final decisions or questions. Adoptions will be scheduled.
- Adoption fees are due on the date of adoption.
- Adopted dogs are required to attend the Canine Behavior Training Program.
All animals will be spayed/neutered, rabies vaccinated, distemper/parvo/lepto vaccinated, canine heartworm tested, feline leukemia/FIV tested, flea/tick treatment, general dewormer, and microchipped.
Post adoption support and Canine Behavior Training classes are also included.